ADSM-L

Backup of Storagepools

1996-03-14 11:45:48
Subject: Backup of Storagepools
From: Dave Cannon <dcannon AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 09:45:48 MST
Ref:  Your note of Thu, 14 Mar 1996 15:59:25 +0100 (attached)

>> The question I have is regarding 1.  How is one to estimate how big to make
>> the copy storage pool to use the 'backup stgpool' command?  If one does not

>The copy storage pool is intended to contain the same data as the primary
>storage pool, and the tool, that makes it contain the same data, is the
>'backup stgpool' command. So, it has to be approximately the same size
>as the primary storage pool, perhaps a bit more or less, depending on
>your use of collocation.

Some other points to consider:
o If you have more than one primary storage pool in the same hierarchy, we
  recommend that you back up these pools to the same copy storage pool.  This
  means that you won't need to repeat the backup just because primary files
  move within the hierarchy.  Make sure your copy storage pool is large
  enough to contain copies of files in *all* the primary storage pools.
o Allow some additional capacity to account for reclaimable space on your
  copy storage pool volumes.
o If you move copy storage pool volumes offsite, you will probably need
  additional space in your copy storage pool, depending on when you
  move volumes back and forth between the onsite and offsite locations.  For
  example, if you move volumes to the offsite location before they become
  full, volumes will not be used to their full capacity.

Dave Cannon
ADSM Development