ADSM-L

Central Logginf of errors

1996-03-08 13:22:37
Subject: Central Logginf of errors
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 13:22:37 -0500
> ADSM Development is looking into a design for centralized logging of client
> errors so they could be queried by administrators, and we would like to get
> some customer input to the design.  The initial requirement is for
> centralized logging pertaining to scheduled commands with potential to
expand
> that to all ADSM client commands, whether scheduled or not.  We're
interested
> in hearing what you would like to see reported from the clients to the
server
> and what type of queries would be the most valuable to you.  We would also
> appreciate any other input you would like to provide to help make this
design
> as crisp as possible.  Thank you very much.

I have been following (hopefully) all of the responses to the above, and agree
with all of them, especially those for filters, etc.

My request, which I suppose is obvious, and a key if a filter is to work, is
for message ids and documentation of them.  I have great difficulty trying to
make heads or tales of the messages that are found there today.  What also mig
ht be nice would be some sort of removal process - It would seem to me that in
looking at today's logs, there are many messages which fit into the
"Nevermind" category  - In other words, it appears that ADSM thought it might
have a problem, logs some info, and then goes about it's business.  I know I
have backed up each day with no noticeable problems from my side, but if I am
paranoid enough to look in the log when there is no problem, I find messages
relating to events on my machine.  My point here is that if I am to look at
keeping a log database for many thousands of clients, I don't want it filling
up with the messages that  are recorded today, and are seemingly useless.  If
there was a way of "conditionally" logging messages, and then "unloggong" on s
uccessful completion, this would go a long was in helping out the overall
number of messages.

What are examples of what I am talking about?  For one, some of our clients
seem to register a line in the log for each NetWare drive they have attached
(mapped) to the machine.  I'm sure this meant something to the person who put
the code in, but everything looks good to me - and I get them every time a
session is established.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com