ADSM-L

Roll-forward mode

1996-02-27 11:11:22
Subject: Roll-forward mode
From: "Andrew M. Raibeck" <araibeck AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 08:11:22 PST
Jerry Lawson asks:

>Are Admin Scheduleds randomized in the same manner that client schedules are
>to select a start time?  My limited testing would appear to answer the
>question as "no", but I have not confirmed it.  An answer of "No" makes the
>most sense to me - I want scheduled commands to run in a sequence, and not in
>random order, obviously.

You are correct, the answer is "no". Client schedules are randomized when using
the "client polling" method of scheduling client backup, since ADSM otherwise
has no control of when the client starts their scheduled backup (as opposed to
"server prompted", when the server lets the client know when it's ready). The
randomization is a mechanism to prevent all client polling clients from trying
to connect to the server all at once.

In the case of scheduled admin commands, they run when at the time they are
scheduled.

Andy Raibeck
ADSM Level 2