ADSM-L

Re: Colocation & Mount Failed Messages

1996-02-22 15:37:46
Subject: Re: Colocation & Mount Failed Messages
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 20:37:46 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%ADSM-L%96022210450647 AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>, KL2 AT cu.nih
DOT gov (Bob Klein) writes:
>We're beginning to run across an interesting problem, now that
>we have collocation turned off.  Even though we have a quite
>small operation so far (only 100 nodes and about 30 GByte of
>data stored) sometimes a user is not able to backup files because
>large files are written directly to tape and the tape is in use.
>Have others run into this?  Would turning colocation on make this
>situation less likely?  I realize we could raise the limit on the
>size of files allowed to our disk storage pool, but we are trying
>to run this as a cost recovery service and are trying to keep
>the costs down and so have a rather small size disk storage pool
>(about 2 Gbytes).
>
>Thanks for any feedback.

>Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
>Phone: 301-496-7400                      Fax: 301-496-6905
>Mail:  DCRT/CFB/ETS, 12A/1033, 12 SOUTH DR MSC 5607,
>       BETHESDA, MD 20892-5607
>
>QUIT

What do you have 'Mountlimit' set to in your cartridge deviceclass?  This
problem sounds like mountlimit is too low.  Try raising it.  If you then
get into MVS allocation wait/recovery, that is ok;  the backup will wait
a while until MVS gives ADSM a drive.  If this is a scheduled backup
running in the background it won't be a problem, but if the user is
running it in the foreground you may now have to explain why it waits
instead of why it quits!

I think the most important issue with tape units, mountlimit, etc. is to
be sure that both ADSM and MVS have a unit available for restores.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550