ADSM-L

Anyone else think this is strange.......?

1996-02-22 08:33:50
Subject: Anyone else think this is strange.......?
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 08:33:50 -0500
Date:     February 22, 1996            Time:    07:52
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
Am I the only one that thinks these things are strange?   (I have certainly
Am I the only one that thinks these things are strange?   (I have certainly
been called "strange" before.....)

The Windows client supports a "Password" option in the DSM.OPT.  I run OS/2
(which doesn't support this), and so had not paid any attention to this at all
until A customer mentioned this to me.  I investigated, and found that it does
what it say - supplies the password to ADSM.  But then I noticed that it only
works with the GUI - the command line client ignores this operand!  Of course
there is no command line client in Windows 3.1, but there is for NT, and that
is how you do the scheduler.  And there, I must code -pas= on the DSMC
command.  This is consistent with the other clients.  But if you are going to
have an option in an options file, shouldn't it be used by both clients (with
perhaps the -pas= overriding the DSM.OPT).  I would certainly prefer having
the password in one place (DSM.OPT), and then when the password changes, I
only have to remember to change one file instead of two.

In demonstrating the Version 2 ADSM clients, I found that the Windows client
no longer supports wild cards when doing a backup by file specification.  For
example, if I enter config.*, the result id "file not found".  This used to
work - is there a reason for the change?  Perhaps it's a bug.......

Jerry Lawson