ADSM-L

Re: Legato vs ADSM

1996-02-22 07:50:56
Subject: Re: Legato vs ADSM
From: "Steven P. Roder" <TKSSTEVE AT UBVM.CC.BUFFALO DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 07:50:56 EST
On Wed, 21 Feb 1996 21:59:17 PST Mitch Sako said:
>                                The main drawback of ADSM is in handling
>full backups of filesystems with large numbers of objects (500K-plus).  But,
>it will do it.  Just throw enough CPU and memory at it and it works fine.

Epoch from EMC2 also has this problem.  I would venture to guess that ALL
backup products experience it, making it the unix systems' problem, no?
In fact, on our Auspex fileserver, epoch is so slow, that we must NFS mount
the auspex filesystems on the epoch server, and back them up that way.
This has the undesireable side-effect of updateing the files' atime :-(
Makes running an HSM product there a wasted effort.

Steve
(tkssteve AT ubvm.cc.buffalo DOT edu | tkssteve AT acsu.buffalo DOT edu |
(716)645-3564 ,