ADSM-L

Re: MVS vs AIX * FAST BKUPS of critical databases...

1996-02-19 10:21:33
Subject: Re: MVS vs AIX * FAST BKUPS of critical databases...
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 09:21:33 -0600
Item Subject: Text_1

     Don't you just love what people expect!

     We have two AIX boxes (59H & 591) with 2 IBM3494's w/ 3590 drives to
     backup our "critical database"... the servers (adsm) are on the FDDI
     rings with the DB servers... (two environments @ 7 miles apart...
     disaster recovery and all, you know...) Well, right now we are at 0.5
     terabytes of file spaces on the AIX machines with 0.3 terabytes
     utilized. Inc bkups would be nice but it doesn't happen with oracle
     databases.  I'm expected to backup 40+ gig db's on 5 different systems
     all in the same 3 hour window NIGHTLY...
     Here is where you'all will probably chew me out but I'm NOT a sales
     person... just wanted to pass along info I found out in my searchings
     for solutions... A firm in Texas (IPL Systems) has out open
     system/SCSI connected dasd racks (holds 4 or 5 drawers) that for each
     drawer it has an attached DLT tape drive in back. They say can backup
     1 tera byte or bigger in under 4 hours, and restore also... just info
     later
          Dwight