ADSM-L

Re: MVS vs AIX

1996-02-19 15:10:15
Subject: Re: MVS vs AIX
From: Christian Moser <Christian.Moser AT SCHERING DOT DE>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 15:10:15 EST
     Hallo

     I have already given some performance data of our installation, about
     30 GB is transferred each night in about 5 hours. We have received
     performance data of an AIX server in a similar environment, which
     backups about 14 GB in one hour!
     THAT IS ONE REASON FOR A MIGRATION.

     Our MVS machine is a 4 processor model. During large ADSM activities
     nearly one processor is busy with ADSM, and also TCPIP is consuming
     much of our CPU power. An upgrade of our (old) MVS server would be
     more expensive than a new powerful UNIX ADSM server.
     THAT IS ANOTHER REASON FOR A MIGRATION.

     An ADSM server on an UNIX platform could be dedicated to ADSM. It
     could do backups at night and storage maintenance and restores at
     daytime. (If we must restore all 30 GB at daytime from our MVS system,
     probably it would be to the disadvantage of our MVS online systems
     like CICS and databases).
     THAT IS A THIRD REASON FOR A MIGRATION.

     More reasons? Feel free to contact me!

     Kind regards,
     Christian Moser,           Internet: christian.moser AT schering DOT de
     SCHERING AG, 13342 Berlin, Tel.: (030)4681356 Fax: (030)46916719