ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Througputs

1996-02-15 14:50:16
Subject: Re: ADSM Througputs
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 19:50:16 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%m0tn7SQ-000TMZC@hlc>, mduhaime AT ibmir DOT com (Mike
Duhaime) writes:
>Regarding throughput, our experience has been that one of the most
>signifigant rate limiting factors is the processing power of the client and
>its ability to put data on the network.  What are your clients?  Alot of
>these questions seem to be related to Novel environments where there likely
>to be older machines.  Without knowing the clients, it might be a gross
>assumption, but slow clients will kill your throughput and there is no way
>to go faster.
>
>>There has been much discussion recently about ADSM throughput.  I
 (snip...)
>>much.

>>Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
>>Phone: 301-496-7400                      Fax: 301-496-6905
>>Mail:  DCRT/CFB/ETS, 12A/1033, 12 SOUTH DR MSC 5607,
>>       BETHESDA, MD 20892-5607

There are 2 options which may provide some improvement especially for
small files.  The options are in V2 and in later releases of V1.

On the server, TXNGROUPMAX says how many files to receive before doing
a database commit.  It default to 10. The option lets you raise it to
256.  On the client, TXNBYTELIMIT says how many kilobytes the client
should send before it asks the server to commit.  It defaults to 340.
The option can raise it to 25,600.

Database commits are expensive and they might also 'drain the pipe'.  I have
done a little testing but have not yet distributed the clients widely.
It has helped with small files.  Has anyone else used this feature widely yet?

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550