ADSM-L

Re: ADSM/MVS v2 feature

1996-02-15 14:24:11
Subject: Re: ADSM/MVS v2 feature
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 19:24:11 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%9602152140.AA1163 AT mail.nimo DOT com>, carrantip AT nimo
DOT com (Peter F Carranti) writes:
>We currently run the ADSM/MVS v1 server and are in the process of ordering the
>v2 server.
>There is a feature code listed (#0186) for the server called "Device Support
>Module 4".
>The device support modules "enable an ADSM for MVS server to support storage
>devices that are not supported in the base product."  I'm quoting from the
>product description for 5655-119.
>
>Device Support Module 4 supports various storage devices including the STK 4400
>automated cartridge system.  ADSM/MVS v1 does not contain any device support
>modules or restrictions for storage devices that I know of.
>
>My question is:  If you have a STK4400 would ADSM/MVS v2 work with it if you
>didn't have the device support module 4 installed?  In defining device classes
>under version1 we use esoteric names for our unitname and ADSM doesn't care
>what brand of tape drive it's writing to.  Can version2 tell the difference
>between an IBM 3490 drive and an STK 4400 drive.  The ucb's, to my knowledge,
>are the same.
>
>We haven't been able to get a clear answer through our local IBM channels.
>Perhaps the developers can answer this?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Peter Carranti

I am running the MVS V2 server with an STK4400.  We have licensed Devicemod4
and I never tried to run with it.  I don't think that the server code could
tell if you were running an "unlicensed" STK4400.  I think it is strickly
honor system as far as licensing goes, and you have spill the beans already,
so you better plan on licensing it!

It was also my experience that the salesperson didn't understand the
announcement letter either.  We are very happy with the V2 costs, because
the client cost dropped from $5 to $2 per month and we were licensing a lot
of clients.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com