ADSM-L

Re: 3490e Tape and ADSM

1996-02-15 11:39:56
Subject: Re: 3490e Tape and ADSM
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 10:39:56 -0600
On Feb 15, 11:17am, Todd Mitchell wrote:
> Subject: 3490e Tape and ADSM
> I have a client that wants to use ADSM as follows:
>
> 1. Each evening backup all their Netware servers (around 10G worst case) to
disk storage pool(s).  They have an IBM 7137 with
> 20G of disk space.
> 2. During the day they would then like to move the disk storage pool
information to 3490 tape.  They have a 3490e with two
> autoloaders.  The 3490e tapes are in use each night to backup the AS/400's
(so they are only available during the day).

> My question: Does anyone have any advice for a setup like this?  I am used to
using 8mm tape libraries (exb10e) and this type
> topology is new to me.  Also, they have around 8 Netware servers, would it be
best to setup disk storage pools for each, or
> have a single large disk storage pool?  Is there a 2G limit to a storage
pool?

> PS. What are the procedures for moving the db.dsm and log.dsm files from the
/usr filesystem to another (ie: /adsm that would
> be defined on the 7137 disk array - RAID 5 protection)?  This is a fresh
install, so losing any information at this point is
> not a concern.
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
> Todd Mitchell
> mitcht AT marshill DOT com
>-- End of excerpt from Todd Mitchell

Todd
I can give you an idea on some parts of your question.

I have used the 3490E before, and like you only wanted them to be used during
the day.  We made one very large dasd backuppool- big enough to hold a nights
worth of data, and had the migration threshold set at 100% so it wouldn't
migrate.  Then, during the day, we issued an adsm command to change the
migration threshold  to 0% or 2 or something, to force a migration to start and
everything to be flushed off to the tapes.   Once the migration starts, you
can set the threshold back up to 100% for the next night, and the current
migration will continue.

Susie McClure
Rice University