ADSM-L

Collocation Concern

2015-10-04 18:16:47
Subject: Collocation Concern
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 2/12/96 1:01PM
>  The server will attempt to use an empty volume
> whenever it must continue a file to another tape.  Therefore, I would
> expect use of the filling volumes to occur over an extended period of
> time, depending on the size distribution of your files.

If I read this correctly, then what will happen is that each migration will
start using a tape that is in "filling" status, and when it is full, and the
file being written is split over the end of a tape, then a new scratch mount
will be requested.  Since most of the "Q Contents" lists I have seen have
partial files as the last block, then indeed the number of "filling" tapes
will drop slowly.

I think it is time to quit thinking about this and "just do it" - we are
planning on turning off colocation tomorrow.  I have a Rexx program that
counts the tapes in each category (full and filling) as well as total numbers,
so between that and some activity log searched for tapes added and deleted, we
should be able to track the net effect of all this.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Jerry Lawson
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com