ADSM-L

Re: INVITATION to join an ADSM Large European Sites (ALES) User Group

1996-02-06 21:29:59
Subject: Re: INVITATION to join an ADSM Large European Sites (ALES) User Group
From: Michael Timpanaro-Perrotta <michael AT IPROLINK DOT CH>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 1996 03:29:59 +0100
Francis,

  I heard from Ben that you have received a good number of responses to your
invitation.
  I know you are already in touch with Oxford, Karlsruhe, and LRZ.  You may
want to seek
  the collaboration of the following sites as well, if they have not already
responded:

   1) SARA - The academic computing services for Amsterdam).
             People to contact are Vincent van den Elzen (vvdelzen AT sara DOT
nl) or
                                   Paul Wielinga (wielinga AT sara DOT nl)
   2) University of Oslo - Person to contact is Dr. Harald Holm Simonsen
(H.H.Simonsen AT usit.uio DOT no).  He is not the one handling
                                 ADSM directly but was part of the group I
spoke with,                                  that then purchased the product.
   3) PDC - Royal Institute of Technology (Sweden) - Person to contact is
Gerdt Svensson
                                 (gert AT pdc.kth DOT se).  He is the Director
in
charge of                                  their supercomputer installation,
including data                                  handler.
   4) IN2P3 - The High Energy Physics institute in France.  The person to
contact there
                                 is Paul O'Neal .. I will need to find his
e-mail, don't
                                 have it at home.
   5) CERN - Person to contact is Chris Jones, Judy Richards and Fabrizio
Gagliardi.
                                 Chris and Judy are current users of ADSM,
Fabrizio is
                                 investigating it's use.  Jamie should know
the e-mails
                                 for them, let me know if you need them.
   6) DESY - The German Physics Research center - Person to contact is
Michael                                  Ernst-Eschgarth
(R02ERN AT DSYIBM.DESY DOT DE).
   7) DLR - The german research center, don't have direct contacts here, but
Karlsruhe
                                 and LRZ should be able to help.
   8) ESA - The European Space Agency - Person to contact is Diego Ferrer
Pellicer
                                 (dferrer AT estec.esa DOT nl).
   9) RUS - University of Stuttgart - Person to contact is Uwe Fisher
(uwe.fischer AT rus.uni-stuttgart DOT de).
  10) You may also want to contact Knut Korsell, he is the technical person
in charge of
            the petroleum solutions unit at IBM.  They have a project in
Norway using
            ADSM to manage large amounts of Petroleum data and I know they
have             outstanding requirements that are similar to yours.  You
may reach him at
            (Korsell AT eurvm1.vnet.ibm DOT com).

  I'm sure I'll think of some others, but these should help.

best wishes,
Michael
P.S. I will be going back to California as the investment manager for ADSM
on Unix platforms, so we shoud stay in touch.

At 04:18 PM 1/26/96 +0000, you wrote:
>The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecast, the
>Leibniz-Rechenzentrum
>and Oxford University Computing Services are proposing the creation of an ADSM
>Large European Sites (ALES) User Group.
>
>If your site complies, or will comply in the near future, with four or more of
>the following criteria, we would be very pleased if you would join us:
>
>a.   You are based in Europe
>b.   You consider ADSM to be a mission critical system
>c.   You have one or more Unix based servers
>d.   You have at least one million ADSM managed files and/or support at
>     least thousand clients
>e.   You have a clustered or centralised storage management strategy
>f.   You would like to use HSM to support large scale file systems
>     (in excess of 200,000 files)
>g.   You are interested in ADSM support for DCE, DFS, AFS, ...
>h.   You would like to use the ADSM API
>i.   A large proportion of your ADSM activity consists of retrievals
>j.   You have to support heterogeneous clients
>
>If your site  is interested in joining us, please send an e-mail to
>alesug AT ecmwf DOT int before Friday, February 2nd, which briefly describes
>your
>site configuration and areas of interest. We will send you more information
>about our goals and initial plans.
>
>We will assess by the middle of February whether enough interest has been
>raised to justify the formation of such a user group and, should that be the
>case, we will arrange an inaugural meeting shortly afterwards.
>
>Thank You for your interest.
>
>--
>Regards
>
>+-------------------+----------------------------------+---------------------+
>| Francis Dequenne  | Systems Section                  |      /~~\  /~~\     |
>| ECMWF             | e-mail: fdequenne AT ecmwf DOT int      |     /    \/
>\    |
>| Shinfield Park    | Tel:    (+44 1734) 499361        |   ECMWF             |
>| Reading           | Fax:    (+44 1734) 869450        |   ECMWF             |
>| Berkshire RG2 9AX | Telex:  (+44 1734) 847908        |     \    /\    /    |
>| United Kingdom    |                                  |      \__/  \__/     |

Internet ProLink   "The Best in the West"   Dial up Internet Access - PPP
ICC - CP 1863       Tel: +41-22-788-8555    100 SFr / month for companies
CH-1215 Geneva 15   Fax: +41-22-788-8560    50 SFr / month for individuals
Switzerland        Data: +41-22-788-8585    http://www.iprolink.ch/