ADSM-L

Re: ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP communications failure

1996-02-05 17:11:01
Subject: Re: ANS4017E Session rejected: TCP/IP communications failure
From: "Brett Walker (408)256-0265" <walkerbl AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 14:11:01 PST
>> One other thing that you could try would be to reduce the size of
>> the TCPWindowsize and TCPBuffsize parameters.  In our quest for performance
>> we tend to bump these values up to their maximum, but on some networks this
>> may be detrimental.
>>
>> Just a thought ;-)
>>
>> Brett Walker
>> ADSM Development
>>-- End of excerpt from Brett Walker (408)256-0265
>
>Brett-- if the window and buffers are too large, don't you see "out of memory"
>problems on the
>client first ???  I did try massaging these numbers many times for one
>particular client who
>always got tcpip errors.... but it never seemed to help.
>
>susie McClure
>Rice University

If you try to bump them up WAY high, maybe.  But you might see problems
if you had them only at 64K.

I know that MacTCP had problems (I think it still does) where if there
were packets unacknowledged, it would retransmit all the packets in the
tcp window.  The bigger the window size, the more likely it would have
to retransmit a lot of packets.  This could cause intermittent drops.

Brett Walker
ADSM Development