ADSM-L

Re: 3590 Drives In a 3494 attached to an RS6K Running 4.1.4

1996-01-30 13:28:57
Subject: Re: 3590 Drives In a 3494 attached to an RS6K Running 4.1.4
From: Simon Travaglia <SPT AT WAIKATO.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 07:28:57 +1300
>I just installed ADSM/6000 V2.1.03 under AIX 4.1.4 and attached a 3494 Tape
>Library containing two 3590 drives.  When I attached the drives using a
>fast-wide differential adapter (4-6), I was able to label the carts using the
>DSMLABEL utility and check them into my stgpool, but when attempting to write
>the volumes using ADSM, I received a message indicating an I/O error.  The
>drives are now attached through a regular SCSI-2 adapter and are functional
>but slow.  Any thoughts?

Ok, first off, what does errpt tell you?

        Are you getting any errors on the drive or the adaptor?
        If so, you probably want to address these prior to working thru
                adsm.

Next, can/could you write to the tapes directly using something like dd?
If so, what's the thruput like?  (on both cards)
Any Errors?

Did you look up the adsm message in the "Messages" book?  Any help there?

                        - Simon

|[POWER ON]  150 WATT / CHANNEL SIGNATURE BOOSTER          | spt AT waikato.ac
DOT nz
||LEVEL       1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 | |BOOSTER| | ITS, University of
||METER  L ################------------------- | |ENGAGED| | Waikato,  Hamilton
Dimensions will be expressed in the least convenient terms, e. g.:
 Furlongs per (Fortnight)**2 = Acceleration.