ADSM-L

Audit DB times

1996-01-24 16:17:13
Subject: Audit DB times
From: Simon Travaglia <SPT AT WAIKATO.AC DOT NZ>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 10:17:13 +1300
We have a DB with approximately 17 million entries.

An AUDITDB of this takes DAYS and DAYS to run.  And days.

It's running on an RS6000 C10 with 128Mbyte (very little free) and
appears to have strange usages in terms of cpu during the audit

It started off quickly, got to 3 million entries quite fast.
From 3 million to 7 million very slow
From  7 million to 12 million now pretty fast.

Now it's using approx 50-60% cpu whereas in it's slow stage there was
heaps of idle cpu and dsmserv was only using about 6-9%

In both cases, the other dsmserv processes appear to be doing minimal work,
approx 2-10% of the heavy dsmserv process

Are there any steps I should take next time to ensure that we get a
quick auditdb?
Is truckloads more memory [always a problem with this machine] going to help
me?

Any tips for next time would be cool.

  |   |  |   |        __-                  |    JOIN THE CAMPAIGN TO STAMP OUT
  |      |   ____-----                      |   SIGNATURES!
  _____---_-- Simon Travaglia, University of \  Send  this  form,  along  with
 /\---/       Waikato,  Private  Bag  3105,   | your name and $412.00 to me at
|             Hamilton, New Zealand           + the address noted.
|        _        ____-------_____           /  Usual disclaimers applied.
Any theory can be made to fit any facts by means of appropriate additional
 assumptions.                           -- Robert E. Schenk