ADSM-L

Re: How to use Cleaning Cartridges with ADSM/6000

1996-01-24 09:48:42
Subject: Re: How to use Cleaning Cartridges with ADSM/6000
From: Richard Campbell <richc AT ITG.TI DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 08:48:42 -0600

> Hello,
> we are using ADSM/6000 V2R1 with a Spectra Logic-DAT-Library. The
> user's manual of the drives inside the library recommend a cleaning-procedure
> (once a week up to every day). Now, is it possible to schedule this
> procedure with ADSM/6000 (administrative schedule etc.) ?
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Eckart Ehni

   This is why I asked for IBM to implement tape drive cleaning from
within ADSM.  I think IBM expects that the hardware will clean itself.
I've always wondered if the hardware started performing a cleaning
operation while ADSM was in the middle of swapping tapes to continue
an operation what would happen.  With ADSM handling the task there
should be no worry.

Rich Campbell
Texas Instruments
richc AT ti DOT com