ADSM-L

Re: Number of backup versions

1996-01-22 21:52:46
Subject: Re: Number of backup versions
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 21:52:46 -0500
Perhaps this answer isn't to the question originally asked, but I'll put in my
$.02 anyway....

We have a customer (the security folks) who have an audit requirement to keep
logs of their changes to company user definitions for 90 days.  The system
runs on a NetWare server that we back up with ADSM.  Since their are additions
each day, we obviously had to be able to handle something like 70 versions.
Also obviously, we did not want to set up the whole server for 70 versions
with 90 day retention!

The solution was simple enough - we set up two management classes - one with
the default requirements (7 versions - 35 days), and a second with the special
requirements (70 versions - 90 days).  We then used an include statement in
the DSM.OPT to apply the special class to the directory that needed it.

Hope this helps....

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com