ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Storage Management 101

1996-01-22 16:32:34
Subject: Re: ADSM Storage Management 101
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 21:32:34 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%0012900001024203000004*@MHS>, jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
(Jerry Lawson) writes:
>Date:     January 22, 1996            Time:    15:13
>From:    Jerry Lawson
>    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
>    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
>This question seems simple to me, but we can't seem to find the answer in a
>manual......
>
>We are trying to allocate (on an MVS Server) a DASD Pool that exceeds the
>physical size of 1 volume.  Is there a way with the VSAM define to specify
>that the data set will span volumes, or should we allocate 2 data sets (one on
>each volume).  If the later is the case, how do you pick up the second volume
>with the administrator when you assign the data sets to a storage pool?

>                        Jerry

Allocate one dataset per physical MVS volume, and format it with ANRFMT.

With an admin client, issue the command -

 define volume <storagepool_name> <MVS_dataset_name>

I just did this to convert from 12 3380K volumes to 8 3390-3 volumes which
were actually on an ICEBERG.  After defining the new volumes, I updated the
old volumes to READ-ONLY.  Then using a console automation product, I issued
move data commands for all the old volumes, one at a time.  The whole
conversion process was done in just 12 hours!

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550