ADSM-L

Re: AIX V4 and ADSM V2 (reply)

1996-01-19 11:00:09
Subject: Re: AIX V4 and ADSM V2 (reply)
From: Chuck Tomlinson 793-0730 <chuckt AT AUSTIN.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 10:00:09 -0600
>From: Mike Knight, DCS-East, (314)234-5096, KNIGHTM at ISSCVM
>Inet:                                       KNIGHTM AT VNET.IBM DOT COM
>Subject AIX V4 and ADSM V2
>
>We are being forced to move to AIX Version 4 to get support for more than 7
>devices on a Fast/Wide SCSI bus.  Does anyone have experience with AIX V4 and
>ADSM?   We have heard rumors that AIX V4 is not as stable as V3 and need to
set
>a confidence level.
>
>With our current environment (ADSM V1 and AIX V3), we are limited to 2GB
>logical volume raw partitions for the ADSM database and disk storage pool
>volumes.  Can we have larger partitions on ADSM V2 and AIX V4?  We would like
>to allocate a whole 4.5GB disk to a database or storage pool volume without
>dividing it up into 2GB chunks.
>
>       Thanks,
>
>       Mike (Not ADSM Support) Knight

Well we have a couple of these here and they have been working just fine.  As
to you question on allocating a whole 4.5GB disk.  We have set up a system
just as you said.  AIX 4.1 will let you create a filesystem that was 4.2GB, by
setting the physical partition size to 8MB from 4MB.

But when used by ADSM it only saw 2GB.  We contacted ADSM support and was
told that this was a present limitation of ADSM (it's written in 32bit).  We
were told it would be fixed with the 64bit version.  I sure some one from
ADSM support can confirm this for you.

Chuck T.