ADSM-L

Re: unix device drivers

1996-01-19 05:12:55
Subject: Re: unix device drivers
From: John Newman <johnn AT MAILSERVER.AIXSSC.UK.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 1996 10:12:55 +0000
Hi,

I think that you are getting a little confused between device drivers
and devices. Your /dev directory contains only devices. These devices
are termed special files. The special files in the /dev directory allow
us to communicate with the devices directly.

Now ADSM does not backup special files, and in the case of /dev it
shouldn't need to as under AIX even if you remove everything from
/dev it can be recreated by running either cfgmgr or rebooting the
machine.

Regards,  John Newman.