ADSM-L

Performance problem help

1996-01-16 13:31:30
Subject: Performance problem help
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 1996 13:31:30 -0500
Date:     January 16, 1996            Time:    12:54
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
We seem to be having a performance problem that has us scratching our heads.
We seem to be having a performance problem that has us scratching our heads.
Has anyone else seen anything like this?

We are running the MVS server at V1 R1 L14.  A customer will initiate a backup
(usually an initial backup, but could be a long restore), and the process is
initiated.   Throughput seems to be OK, based on what we see on the Kb/sec
indicators.  All of a sudden, we will get a message on the client indicating a
TCP/IP failure.  On the server, we get an ANR0481 message, indicating that a
client session was terminated after 60 seconds of inactivity.  (Message manual
indicates the client was holding a lock.  My concern here isn't what we were
holding, but rather "Why have we been sitting there for a minute."

We initially thought that the problem was in a 3172 that we were using for
connections to the mainframe.  It was an older model, and it was running at
99% + utilization most of the working day.  The network folks think the 3172
is flooded with broadcast messages - ADSM activity is generally low when this
occurs.  We addressed this problem by upgrading the 3172 to the new model that
was recently released (90hz Pentium based).  (BTW - we are not doing the
TCP/IP offload in this box).  However, the next morning after the upgrade
(yesterday) the problem reoccurred.  Utilization on the 3172 was in the low
30% range.  Diagnostic messages on the 3172 indicate the problem was between
ADSM and the 3172.

On MVS, ADSM runs with a low dispatching priority - underneath batch and TSO.
Is this normal, or should it be above them?  Overall MVS utilization exceeds
95% most of the time.   TCP/IP's dispatching priority is set very high to
insure it gets what it needs.  The 3172 is on a high speed Bus and Tag channel
(4.5 MB/Sec).  Does it need to be moved to an ESCON channel?

Can anyone else suggest anything?

                        Jerry