ADSM-L

Windows NT/ADSM question

1996-01-12 12:49:39
Subject: Windows NT/ADSM question
From: Jerry Lawson <jlawson AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 1996 12:49:39 -0500
Date:     January 12, 1996            Time:    12:10
From:    Jerry Lawson
    ITT Hartford Insurance Group
    (203) 547-2960    jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
We are starting to deploy Windows NT servers, and in installing the NT client,
We are starting to deploy Windows NT servers, and in installing the NT client,
we noticed something that appears to be inconsistent.  Can someone help us
understand the functions?

In the NT client book, the Registry is discussed; as I read the book, the
registry is backed up every time an incremental is done UNLESS you specify
otherwise.  Manual backup functions are also provided.  The confusion occurred
when we were doing the install, and we looked at the Exclude list supplied
with the product.  In the list, c:\...\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\*.* was excluded
(Mia Culpa - I think that is the right directory - I don't have it in front of
me now.)  We looked in this directory, and there were log files from the NT
registry process in there.

Our concern:  "Is this a critical directory to the registry?  Are the log
files purely documentation, or are they needed for any recovery processing?"
"Why are these files being excluded?  are they open, and cannot be backed up?"
 We really haven't got a lot of NT experience here, and so are probably
groping with some basic stuff, but do appreciate any help that you can give.

                        Jerry

Any idiot can face a crisis.  It's the day to day stuff that really wears you
down.