ADSM-L

AIX/ADSM Install/Newbie Questions

2015-10-04 18:17:09
Subject: AIX/ADSM Install/Newbie Questions
From: INTERNET.OWNERAD at SNADGATE
To: Jerry Lawson at TISDMAIL
Date: 1/11/96 6:56PM
I am not an AIX guru, but I think I can answer at least some of your
questions.

I am not aware of any user written manuals on installation - only the
locations you referenced.  There may be some IBM Redbooks on ADSM installation
on AIX - I know there are quite a few out there.  IBM has a Redbooks web page
now - URL is http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks.  They don't have the text o
ut there, but they do have the titles and abstracts, so at least you can get
an idea of what is available.

As for the Weekly backups, it would be possible to set up two schedules for a
machine, one for a full backup (selective) that only ran on the weekend, and
then an incremental.  However, assuming you are installing level 2 of ADSM, I
think you might want to take a look at the features to create backup tapes.  T
he short version is that you can create a backup tape of your primary backup
tape, and ADSM will keep track of it, and manage it, and expire it for you.
One of ADSM's primary strengths (in my opinion) is the design, which negates
the need for a regular full backup; the new version provides much needed tools
to extend this to offsite tapes.

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group