ADSM-L

Client DASD Configurations

1996-01-09 13:11:47
Subject: Client DASD Configurations
From: Kevin Balmer <74504.2223 AT COMPUSERVE DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 13:11:47 EST
This is targeted at Novell servers but would apply for other platforms as well.
I'm looking for feedback concerning logical volume size and configuration of the
DASD for file placement.

The problem I'm running into is our Novell guys have kept adding to SYS and we
have some 18GB SYS volumes. I've recommended keeping just system data on a SYS
volume and having multiple DATA and PROGRAM volumes no larger than 4GB each to
facilitate backup and recovery. Since ADSM locks at the filespace (logical
volume), multiple restores could be threaded in the event of a full server
restore. I'm meeting resistance to that suggestion. For Novell we average about
800 MB/hour with ADSM and these 18GB servers take way too long for a recovery
the way they're currently configured. How are others handling very large single
volumes with ADSM?

Kevin Balmer
Providian Technology Services