ADSM-L

Re: Central Network Backup Product and Storage Media

1996-01-09 11:19:59
Subject: Re: Central Network Backup Product and Storage Media
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 1996 10:19:59 -0600
Item Subject: Central Network Backup Product and Storage Media
     Just my opinion but I HATE 8mm tapes.

     If you value your data and can find it in your budget look into
     IBM's 3590 tape drives... (and then to really go all out put them
     in an IBM 3494 robot)

     Let's face it... you don't want to get the IRS mad at you and they
     won't be very understanding when you tell them you don't have your
     records because some 8mm tape went bad after a year or two...
     (or should I say weeks or days)

     We are just about to bring up our new production ADSM environment
     which is: ADSM (v2.1) running on a RS/6000 (591) w/ AIX (v4.1)
     We have attached to that an IBM3494 robot containing IBM3590 tape
     drives. With 3 cabinets on the robot we have a minimum capacity of
     9 terabytes (raw data, w/ compression @max of 27 terabytes) The tapes
     have a shelf life of 10 years (or greater ?) Oh, each tape is 10 gig
     raw data w/ @ 30 gig using compression.

     later \
            Dwight

Author:  ADSM-L at unix,sh/dd.RFC-822=ADSM-L\@VM\.MARIST\.EDU
Date:    1/5/96 10:57 PM

Hi ADSMer,
        Just to check anyone have any info. on the different between DLT and
8mm technology eg. the way they write/read and reliability?  We are in the
process of evaluating different network backup product i.e. ADSM on AIX,
Palindrom and Networker. However, we were confuse as their fuctions and
features are quit similar but there price are of great different, just to know
whether I missed out something?

        Any user experiences on DLT library and any recommendation would be
greatly appreciated.   Thanks in advanced.

Regards,
How Cheong at onghc AT singnet.com DOT sg