ADSM-L

ADSM db backup before service

1996-01-04 14:57:37
Subject: ADSM db backup before service
From: Susan McClure <smcclure AT IS.RICE DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 13:57:37 -0600
I have been reading all the horror stories on how long it takes to back up
and restore ADSM DB's.

I am going to upgrade my VM server from level 1.10 to 1.15.
It seems we have never done "ADSM" db backups.. we just use a backup product
to backup the minidisks allocated to the database.

Do I need to do an ADSM backup before I upgrade the server code ??  If I do,
will this take forever and a day?-- My ADSM db is currently 1800 MB. (PART OF
the reason we are upgrading is so we can pick up the enhanced backed/recovery
capabilities for the database itself).

What are the ramifications if we just rely on backup copies of the ADSM
DB minidisks themselves, rather that an ADSM invoked DB backup ???

Thanks.
Susie McClure
Rice University