ADSM-L

Requirement for ADSM to store only one copy of a file

1996-01-04 02:17:08
Subject: Requirement for ADSM to store only one copy of a file
From: Terry A Moore <tmoore AT TIMKEN DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 1996 02:17:08 -0500
Once a long time ago in a land far away (or so it seems now), I spoke
with an IBMer who was selling the virtues of ADSM at a seminar.  We
talked about the need to make ADSM smart enough to recognize that
100 people were backing up the same file (e.g. WINWORD.EXE) and to
have the server keep only a single copy of that file with all 100
user's pointing to it.  He indicated that we would likely see this
in a future version, but I haven't seen discussion of such a feature.

We would really like to be able to use our ADSM backups to rebuild
a PC after a hard disk crash, but don't feel that we can afford to
have 4,000 copies of Windows' EXE, DLL, etc. files bogging down our
MVS server.  Currently, we exclude these files in order to keep from
running into problems.

Anyone else out there have a need for this feature?
Anyone from IBM care to comment on directions?
Or am I missing the boat completely?