ADSM-L

FW: Upgrading Version 1 DB to Version 2

1996-01-03 12:50:33
Subject: FW: Upgrading Version 1 DB to Version 2
From: Andrew Mark Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 12:50:33 -0500
Bob Klein asks:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Forwarded letter follows =
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
This question is for those of you who have migrated from the Version
1 MVS server to the Version 2 MVS server.  I am trying to get an
idea of about how long it will take to upgrade the version 1
database to version2.  We have two 800 mb databases allocated
(i.e., 1 mirrored copy).  The data base currently takes up only
about half that space.  Any info you can provide on how long
the upgrade process took would be most appreciated.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D Forwarded letter ends =
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

The upgrade is very fast. There is no actual database conversion that I =
am aware of (i.e. reformatting of records). When you are ready to start =
V2 *for the first time*, there is an upgrade parameter you specify in =
the JCL EXEC statement (PARM=3D/UPGRADEDB). I suspect this merely places =
an entry in the database indicating which version you're at; there may =
be changes to a few other ADSM installation-related records as well, but =
like I said, no massive conversion. For me, the upgrade took only as =
long as it normally takes to restart the ADSM server (about 5 - 10 =
minutes).

There is a section in the "Installing the Server and Administrative =
Client" book in chapter 2, "2.14 Migrating from the ADSM Version 1 =
Server". And yes, it *is* as simple as it sounds. Just make sure you =
back up the database as outlined in this section first, just in case you =
need to go back to version 1. Section 2.15 tells you how to return to =
the version 1 server, but I never had to use this.

Andy Raibeck