ADSM-L

Re: Banyan client availability?

1996-01-03 08:58:13
Subject: Re: Banyan client availability?
From: Dan Crouse <Dan.Crouse AT MAILPORT.DELTA-AIR DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 1996 08:58:13 -0500
an client availability?

>On Fri, 15 Dec 1995 09:51:55 PST john dyer said:
>On Sun, 10 Dec 1995 08:18:56 EST  Deba Patnaik wrote:
>>Pete,
>>   When is Banyan client going to be available ?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Deba Patnaik
>>World Bank
>
>I would also like to ask the same question.
>
>POWERsave for Banyan VINES from Performance Technology is
>supposed to interface with ADSM.  Any comments?
>
>Banyan's EBR (Enterprise Backup and Recovery) is based on
>Legato's NetWorker.  Is there any likelihood of EBR interfacing
>with ADSM?
>
>Thanks,
>John Dyer
>Australian Bureau of Statistics

>>On Fri, 22 Dec 1995 10:55:47 EST, Deba Patnaik said:
>>
>>I was told by Performance Technology developer Andy Miller, that
>>there has been some management change in ADSM lab and also Banyan
>>did not show up in a meeting.

>>It is very important for me to know where IBM stands on this issue.
>>It is perfectly all right for me, if IBM says we are not going to
>>support Vines. I have been waiting for an answer for over two years
>>now. Please can you give us a definite answer, so that I can use
>>alternative software (ADSM would have been my first choice). I used
>>to correspond with Scott Hansbury (ADSM) but I have not heard from
>>him in recent months.

As you stated, Deba, the Banyan client has been on again/ off again for over
2 years.  At a previous site, I also had been corresponding with Scott
Hansbury.  Scott has since left IBM to pursue other interests.  I had also
talked with various levels of Banyan management, as well as Andy Miller.

 From discussions with Banyan, I have concluded that Banyan is not
interested in having an ADSM client developed. They view it as a competitor
to EBR and do not consider it to be strategic.  I would be skeptical of any
solution that requires any cooperation from Banyan.

From discussions with Performance Technology, my perception is that they
want to write the client and apparently have access to  the talent to write
the client; however, they need permission from Banyan to use a certain
system module to accomplish this... therefore, I am skeptical of their
ability to provide a full-function ADSM client.

That said, you CAN currently use  ADSM to backup Banyan data.  We
accomplished this by using a secondary OS/2 pc to connect Banyan file
services using SETDRIVE commands.  This technique works very well as long as
you are willing to accept the following:

     ADSM will not directly backup the ARLs
     ADSM will not directly backup the StreetTalk database
     ADSM will not directly backup the Banyan root file system or any file
system lower than  /disk1
       This includes 3rd party products.

You should be able to get around the first two restrictions by invoking
Banyan services to backup these objects to a flat file and then backing up
this file using ADSM.  PowerSave currently uses a similar approach to backup
the StreetTalk database.

You should be able to backup third party services using a DOS-to-UNIX
bridge.  If you really want to backup the root file system, you may be able
to do so via an NFS mount.  Incognito currently markets NFS for Vines
software.  This is the same company that wrote the Banyan backup agent for
AT&T CommVault.

I hope this helps.

DanC
Daniel G. Crouse
Software Information Services, Inc
Email:  Dan.Crouse AT MAILPORT.DELTA-AIR DOT COM
Voice:  800-233-6838