ADSM-L

Re: latest Mac and Windows client levels?

1995-12-28 16:09:05
Subject: Re: latest Mac and Windows client levels?
From: Wendy Alberg <WAXY AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 16:09:05 EST
Jeff Mathers asks:

>        What are the latest versions of clients for Win
>3.x and Mactintosh when using the OS/2 server?

OS/2 server: software is not on the ftp server, so I don't know

clients:
  Mac:     version 2 release 1 level 2 (IP20571) ((2.1.0.2))
  Windows: version 2 release 1 level 2 (IP20573) ((2.1.0.2))

>                                                   Can
>we get somebody from IBM to get a list together of what
>the latest code levels are?
>
>If this info. is already out there somewhere in
>cyberspace just point me in the right direction.

The latest code levels are on an ftp server.  There is not (that I've
found) a concise list of the current levels per se, but the name of
each file of client software includes the level number in it.

The server's name is

    index.storsys.ibm.com

and the latest (currently) software for each client platform is in a
directory called

    /adsm/fixes/v2r1/<name_of_platform_here>

For example, the current Macintosh client is in the directory

   /adsm/fixes/v2r1/mac

in a file called

   mac.v2r1m2.IP20571.hqx

As the Version and Release numbers increase, the name of the "fixes"
subdirectory with the latest software will change to match (see notes
on Version and Relase numbering, below).

>We are currently using ADSM/2 Version 1 Release 2.0.8.
>What is Version 2 Release 1?
>I find the version numbering system to be quite
>confusing, not to mention the IPF numbering stuff.

"v2r1m2" in the name of the file above means "Version 2, Release 1,
Modification level 2" which translates to "2.1.0.2" if you look at Get
Info for the ADSM Backup or ADSM Scheduler icon.

The Mac client you currently have is "1.2.0.8", or "v1r2m8", or
"Version 1, Release 2, Modification level 8".  The leading zero
in the Mod level number, and extra dot between the "0" and the "8"
in "1.2.0.8", are confusing; "1.2.08" or "1.2.8" would be easier to
translate to and from the Version/Release/Mod level naming pattern.

One Version may have many Releases.  Each Release can have several
Modification levels.  So v1r1m10 is an earlier level than v1r2m8
because Release 1 is earlier than Release 2.  V2r1m2 is a later
level than both of these because Version 2 is later than Version 1.
Thinking of Version, Release and Mod level as Hundreds, Tens and
Ones gives you a model of how to count up or down in this numbering
scheme.

"IP20571" is the number of the most recent PTF included at this level.
IP numbers always increase as the level increases.  Checking that the
IP number of software you're about to download is bigger than the IP
number of the software you've already got is another way to tell if
what's on IBM's ftp server is more recent than what you have.

Wendy Alberg, Computer Resources Technical Support Group, 315 CCC,
Cornell Information Technologies, Cornell Univ., Ithaca, NY 14853
wa10 AT cornell DOT edu    607/255-2672