ADSM-L

A problem with removing a old dbvolume

1995-12-27 03:26:44
Subject: A problem with removing a old dbvolume
From: Dag Bjornar Skogli <Dag-Bjornar.Skogli AT OSLO.TEAMCO.TELENOR DOT NO>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 1995 09:26:44 +0100
> I'm running adsm under an RS6000 (Aix 4.1.3) and have a problem in that I
> want to remove the database volume from ADSM.  It's 1 Gig in size and has
> been used up.  I want to migrate from this logical volume to another because
> I foolishly increased the size of the volume with smit to no avail, so I
> want to start afresh on a new (larger) LV.
>
> So what I did was to:
>         1.  Created a 1.6 Gig logical volument called adsm_database
>         2.  Added adsm_database as a dbvolume with 1596 Meg available
>         3.  Attempted to delete the original 1 Gig filesystem with a
>                 addm> del dbvol /dev/radsm_db
>
> I get the error
>   ANR2434E DELETE DBVOLUME: Insufficient space on other database volumes to
>   delete volume /dev/radsm_db.
>
> Querying the DBvolumes (detailed) gives me:
> -----
> adsm> q dbv f=d
>
> Volume Name (Copy 1): /dev/radsm_database
>          Copy Status: Sync'd
> Volume Name (Copy 2):
>          Copy Status: Undefined
> Volume Name (Copy 3):
>          Copy Status: Undefined
> Available Space (MB): 1,596
> Allocated Space (MB): 1,596
>      Free Space (MB): 0
>
> Volume Name (Copy 1): /dev/radsm_db
>          Copy Status: Sync'd
> Volume Name (Copy 2):
>          Copy Status: Undefined
> Volume Name (Copy 3):
>          Copy Status: Undefined
> Available Space (MB): 1,020
> Allocated Space (MB): 1,020
>      Free Space (MB): 0
>
> ----
>
> Qeurying the DB gives me:
>
> Available Assigned   Maximum   Maximum    Page     Total      Used %Util  Max.
>     Space Capacity Extension Reduction    Size    Usable     Pages       %Util
>      (MB)     (MB)      (MB)      (MB) (bytes)     Pages
> --------- -------- --------- --------- ------- --------- --------- ----- -----
>     2,616    2,616         0     1,596   4,096   669,696   258,686  38.6  39.0
>
> ---
>
> Yet still I cannot delete the old volume and migrate the data from one
> dbvolume to the other.
>
> Is there any known fix to this?
>
>                         - Simon
>
>     |      |              +                 |
>   |   |  |   |        __-                  |    JOIN THE CAMPAIGN TO STAMP OUT
>   |      |   ____-----                      |   SIGNATURES!
>   _____---_-- Simon Travaglia, University of \  Send  this  form,  along  with
>  /\---/       Waikato,  Private  Bag  3105,   | your name and $412.00 to me at
> |             Hamilton, New Zealand           + the address noted.
> |        _        ____-------_____           /  Usual disclaimers applied.
>  \_____-- -_____--     >SPLAT<    ----_____--
> Any theory can be made to fit any facts by means of appropriate additional
>  assumptions.                           -- Robert E. Schenk

You will have to (presuming ADSM V2):

                       1. Use the "REDUCE DB" command, amount of MB to reduce
equal to the size of the volume you
                            want to delete.

                        2. If "LOGMODE" is set to "ROLLFORWARD" this will have
to be changed to "NORMAL".

                        3. Issue the "DELETE DBVOL " command. Volume will then
be deleted.

Caution: This process will trigger one or more full database backups, as the
size of the database is changed!!!!!!

                                  Hilsen
                                  Dag Bj|rnar Skogli
                                  Datalageradministrasjon