ADSM-L

Re: BACKUP DB question

1995-12-20 16:50:07
Subject: Re: BACKUP DB question
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 1995 21:50:07 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%199512202117.QAA45534 AT theory.tc.cornell DOT edu>, jsw AT
tc.cornell DOT edu (Judy Warren) writes:
>Folks,
>
>I'd like to setup a daily scheduled full backup of our ADSM server
>database; I'd planned to use 3590 tapes in a 3494 tape robot for the
>backups.  Given the capacity and speed of the 3590 tapes and drives,
>I didn't see any reason to do incremental backups.
>
>But I also don't want to allocate an indefinite number of tapes to
>the DB backups; I figured that a tape rotation of 4-5 tapes would
>be adequate.
>
>The problem that I'm running into is that once a tape has been used
>for a DB backup, I don't seem to be able to find a way to make it
>re-usable for another DB backup some number of days later.  The tape
>volume is marked "Private, DBbackup" according to a "query libvol".
>I've tried changing it to just "Private" or even to "Scratch" (with
>an "update libvol" command), but when I try to backup my database
>to that tape again, I'm told that:
>
>        ANR4583E Database backup terminated - output media full
>        and scratch media could not be mounted.
>
>How do folks out there manage regular automatic or scheduled DB backups?
>Do you just use some other kind of device (eg DEVCLASS=FILE) and manually
>erase some of the files when too many backups have accumulated, or is there
>some trick to getting a DB (tape?) backup rotation in place?
>
>                        Thanks,
>                                Judy
>
>--
>Judy Warren                             jsw AT tc.cornell DOT edu
>Cornell Theory Center                   (607) 254-8792

I am running the MVS server version 2.  To reuse sequential media which
is outside of ADSM's control (i.e. not a bitfile), you must do a
'Delete volumehistory' command.  There are parameters to control which
types of records get deleted.  Look up the command in the admin help or
manual.

(I know this is necessary, but you may need to do other things also).

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550