ADSM-L

ADSM Server Move

1995-12-07 20:57:19
Subject: ADSM Server Move
From: "Norman W. Russell" <nrussell AT BTV.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 1995 20:57:19 -0500
  I am faced with the task of physically moving my production ADSM/6000
AIX server environment and I am looking for advice.
  The current configuration is a RS/6000 980B machine with (6) Exebyte-10e
tape stackers for ADSM backup and (1) 3995 Optical CD Library for ADSM
archive.
  I have the identical hardware setup at the target location with ADSM
installed new and ready to accept the production ADSM/6000 server data.
  Following are my questions:

  1) Can I do a DUMPDB on the source ADSM server, and then take the tape
     to the target ADSM server and do a DSMSERV INSTALL, LOADDB, AUDITDB?
  2) Rather than doing an EXPORT SERVER and unloading all (60) 8MM tapes
     and 100+ optical CDs, I would think that I can just remove the tapes
     and CDs from the source devices and place them in the same like-
     defined target devices before execution of the LOADDB & AUDITDB.
     Does this sound correct? My impression is that the EXPORT SERVER/
     IMPORT SERVER (including data) would require a long extended outage
     of the server and it doesn't seem necessary in this case.
  3) If a DUMPDB currently takes about 2 hours, how long can I expect
     a LOADDB and AUDITDB to run. I vaguely remember reading some horror
     stories on this forum about the elapsed time of an AUDITDB. Is
     AUDITDB necessary/advisable in this scenario?
  4) As part of the move, I want to increase the size of the ADSM DB.
     Is it ok to take the DUMPDB tape and run the LOADDB into the newly
     created ADSM DB which has a larger allocation than the source ADSM DB?
  5) The ADSM/server is currently running ADSM server code 1.2.0.7.
     Should I upgrade my server maintenance to a more current level
     prior to doing the move?

  Any and all input is welcome and I will be happy to clarify anything I
left out for those of interest. Thanks in advance.

Norm Russell  (Internet E-Mail  nrussell AT vnet.ibm DOT com)

Norm Russell, IBM Microelectronics, Distributed Computing Services
IBM e-mail: nrussell AT btv.ibm DOT com  Internet e-mail: nrussell AT vnet.ibm
DOT com
Tel: 802-769-4088 (tie: 446), Fax: 802-769-4253 (tie: 446)

------- End of Forwarded Message