ADSM-L

hard links

1995-12-05 15:48:46
Subject: hard links
From: Mj Lopatin <lopatin AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 1995 12:48:46 PST
Michael Vogt wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how ADSM backs up hard links from a UNIX client?
> For example, would the following require 4.3 MB or 76.6 MB of storage space?

In the Version 2 ADSM "Using the UNIX Backup-Archive Clients" book,
we have two sections called "Understanding How Hard Links are Handled",
one under Backing Up and Restoring Files, and the other under
Archiving and Retrieving Files.

If you backup two or more files that are hardlinked together at the same
time, ADSM stores the same data file on the server under both names,
and also stores the link information.  So my understanding is that
you will have only one copy of the data in your example, but will
link information for each hardlinked file,
if you back them all up on the same SELECTIVE command.

The documentation says to backup and restore all files that
have hard links to each other at the same time, on the same command.

             -- MJ Lopatin
                ADSM Client Developer