ADSM-L

Re: Server hangs up at volume witch during DUMP DB

1995-11-30 08:33:06
Subject: Re: Server hangs up at volume witch during DUMP DB
From: "S. Mueller" <muellerst AT STR.DAIMLER-BENZ DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 14:33:06 +0100

> >Has anybody else seen this? My AIX Server (1.2.8) hangs during DUMP DB
> >when the first volume (3490E) is filled. The 3494 tape library mounts the
> >second volume (on the same drive - we only have one), but the dump db does
> >not make any progress. It is not possible to get an admin session, so the
> >only thing we can do is to kill the server processes and restart the server.
>
> Yes, we have seen this.  The dump/load process on AIX for Version 1 needs
> to be performed with a "manual" library.  This means that you will need
> use the DEFINE LIBRARY command to define a "manual" library for the
> 3490E.  You would then use the mtlib command to perform the mounts for
> the DUMP DB mounts.    I believe an APAR was opened or will be opened to
> explain this restriction better.  In version 2, the BACKUP DB command
> does not have this restriction.
>
> Dave Crockett
> ADSM development

  Hi ADSM development,

  we have seen the same problem with our MVS Server (1.1.0.13).
  Sometimes the DUMP DB starts, but hangs after waiting for a second volume.
  Had anyone else the same problem with a MVS Server, and how could this
  problem be fixed? We plan to use the new version V2 in the near future, is
  the problem there already fixed?

  TIA
    Steffen Mueller
  3490 drives and it could be the the server is selecting
  this problem