ADSM-L

Re: ATTN IBM: AUDITDB Concern

1995-11-28 11:35:17
Subject: Re: ATTN IBM: AUDITDB Concern
From: Dave Crockett <crockett AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 09:35:17 MST
>According to the documentation, AUDITDB is used after doing the LOADDB
>process. If I am using the BACKUP DB command to generate consistent full
>and incremental database backups, is there *any* reason whatsoever why I'd
>*ever* be in the position of having to run AUDITDB (assuming I have all
>my tapes from the BACKUP DB process)?

I can't recall seeing this question answered yet.
In version 2, after restoring a database using the RESTORE DB command,
you do not need to perform an AUDITDB.  In theory, in version 2 the only
time that an AUDITDB would be needed is if there is no BACKUP DB tapes,
the database is corrupted, and a "database salvage" is performed using
the off-line DSMSERV DUMPDB command.  After this offline LOADDB is performed,
an AUDITDB would be needed.

However, we are seeing a few cases where there are some database
inconsistencies, maybe due to software problems and at times development
have recommended that an AUDITDB be performed to fix a particular problem.
Many times only a subset AUDITDB can be used.  There are undocumented
subset parameters that development might suggest which will reduced the
time for the auditdb.

For version 1, you should make sure the DUMB DB is a "consistent" dump.
If a "consistent" dump is loaded, an auditdb is not needed.

Dave Crockett
ADSM development