ADSM-L

Server hangs up at volume witch during DUMP DB

1995-11-28 11:15:04
Subject: Server hangs up at volume witch during DUMP DB
From: Dave Crockett <crockett AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 09:15:04 MST
>Has anybody else seen this? My AIX Server (1.2.8) hangs during DUMP DB
>when the first volume (3490E) is filled. The 3494 tape library mounts the
>second volume (on the same drive - we only have one), but the dump db does
>not make any progress. It is not possible to get an admin session, so the
>only thing we can do is to kill the server processes and restart the server.

Yes, we have seen this.  The dump/load process on AIX for Version 1 needs
to be performed with a "manual" library.  This means that you will need
use the DEFINE LIBRARY command to define a "manual" library for the
3490E.  You would then use the mtlib command to perform the mounts for
the DUMP DB mounts.    I believe an APAR was opened or will be opened to
explain this restriction better.  In version 2, the BACKUP DB command
does not have this restriction.

Dave Crockett
ADSM development