ADSM-L

Re: Lotus Notes Backups

1995-11-20 22:19:28
Subject: Re: Lotus Notes Backups
From: Jerry Lawson <JLAWSON AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 08:19:28 +0500

> Also, how do you ascertain how an LNotes backup is going...especially the
> first time and/or when there is a bunch of documents to be backed up???
>    My version of the LNotes Agent has yet to display *any* message of *any*
> kind indicating it was doing *anything* at all...I've only been able to sit
> there watching it run with no feedback for finite periods of time... ;-)

Exactly!  I would dearly like to have some kind of tracking that says what data
bases/documents have been processed - similar to DSMSCHED.LOG output.  This
would be especially helpful, since a Q FILESPACE command shows the capacity and
%utilization as 0.  Now I know that on other clients, these fields represent the
size of a drive, and these are data bases, but some sort of indication that
there was actually some data backed up would be of some help.  All we have now
is a batch command that sits there for some amount of time, and then comes back
with a "ready", followed by a quesry that shows 0 for size.  This is further
compounded by my initial backup - I attempted to do a "normal" first backup
under ADSM by just stating DSMC INCR (etc); expecting that the first backup
would get me a complete backup.  Much to my surprise, I went to the Notes menu,
pulled down the ADSM restore options, and was informed that there were no files
backed up!  I then went back to the OS/2 prompt, and entered DSMC INCR -FULL=Y,
and when it was finished, went back to Notes and found files to restore from.
If what I saw was correct (it was my first attempt, so I could be missing
something) then this is not consistent with the other ADSM clients.

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
(203) 547-2960