ADSM-L

Re: Why does ADSM use 536-byte data packets?

1995-11-20 06:34:49
Subject: Re: Why does ADSM use 536-byte data packets?
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 16:34:49 +0500
Howard Heitner says:

> I mentioned this to one of our network people and he seemed to
> think that this was the size of an IPX packet.  He also
> said that indeed the packet size is determined by the media
> (ethernet, etc.).

Thank you. We do indeed use IPX. I should have also mentioned that our
network is token-ring based. So are you telling me that the IPX packet
is a fixed size, and the TCP/IP packet is based on this, and that there's
nothing I can do about it? Or is there a way for me to increase the size
of the IPX packet?

My original note attached below:

> >Using a Sniffer, we've noticed that ADSM sends out packets, typically 598 or
> >604 bytes in size. When we look at the packet in greater detail, the actual
> >data portion is 536 bytes, with the remainder being protocol headers (LLC,
> >DLC, IP, SNAP, etc.). This strikes me as a major bottleneck; that if I could
> >send a smaller number of larger packets, I could improve performance by quite
> >a bit (potentially). Oh, BTW I'm using TCP/IP for connectivity to an ADSM/MVS
> >server.
> >
> >I use TCPBUFFSIZE 32 and TCPWINDOWSIZE 24, which are the only tuning options
> >available in ADSM itself (for TCP/IP). IBM Level 2 tells me that the sizes
> >must be set somewhere in the network or network card.
> >
> >Has anyone noticed this, and if so, can anything be done about it? I've seen
> >this for NetWare and AIX. I haven't sniffed my other client types yet, but
> >I believe I'd probably find something similar.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521