ADSM-L

ADSM v2 UNIX clients changing ctime

1995-11-14 10:49:48
Subject: ADSM v2 UNIX clients changing ctime
From: Baba Z Buehler <baba AT BECKMAN.UIUC DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:49:48 -0600
I've noticed that the v2r1m1 UNIX clients change the ctime attribute of files
that they backup, while the v1r2 UNIX clients did not do this.  Is this by
design?

We're having two problems caused by this when we use v2 UNIX clients.  First,
we're still running dump backups in parallel to our ADSM backups, and this
changing of the ctime causes any file ADSM backs up to be marked for backup by
dump (the level 9 we ran right after we started using ADSM was essentially a
level 0).

Second, we use tripwire to detect changes to our files... in the last few days
we've been innundated with multi-megabyte tripwire reports telling us that the
ctime has changed on all of our files.

Is there any way to disable this `feature' of the v2 UNIX clients?

Thanks,
--
# Baba Z Buehler - 'Hackito Ergo Sum'
# Baba Z Buehler - 'Hackito Ergo Sum'