ADSM-L

Not to fuzzy backup....

1995-11-14 05:03:11
Subject: Not to fuzzy backup....
From: Jerry Lawson <JLAWSON AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 10:03:11 +0000
I have a customer who wants this question raised to a higher authority - in
other
words, he doesn't like my explaination  :-(  He insists that the following
situation is a bug.  Any thoughts from anyone else would be apprreciated.

He is running the Windows 3.1 client, L7.  We specify Shared Dynamic in his
management class, and I have explained to him how this is used to backup files
that are changing while the backup is underway.  He normally has the Windows
Cardfile application running, which in turn opens a file (database).  When ADSM
goes to back up this file, he receives an ANS4228E message, indicating that the
cardfile database (rolodex) could not be backed up, because Access is denied.  I
have tried to explain that Windows is keeping ADSM from accessing the datset,
but
he believes that since we are doing fuzzy backups, ADSM should backup this file
too.

Does anyone else subscribe to this viewpoint?  Anyone from IBM care to comment?

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com
(203) 547-2960