ADSM-L

Re: DLT or 3590....

1995-11-10 05:55:46
Subject: Re: DLT or 3590....
From: Hanna Hahne <Hanna.Hahne AT DKFZ-HEIDELBERG DOT DE>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 11:55:46 GMT+1
I have several question concerning ADSM/6000 support for ATL Odetics
libraries:
 Is the "ACL6/176"  supported?
Are DLT4000 drives supported?
If support is available - which ADSM Server Level (Version 1 and 2) is
needed?
If support is not available - when will it come out?

Hanna

On  9 Nov 95 at 16:07, paul (p.) shields wrote:

> We decided to go with DLTs because the 3590s were very expensive for the
> capacity they delivered. In addition, DLT6000s are tentatively scheduled for
> release in April, will double the capacity, and bring the performance to
> 5Mb/s.
> This eliminates most of the advantages of the 3590 technology, especially when
> price is factored in. In addition IBM has had trouble delivering the 3590
> drives
> and the tapes are very expensive. Also, don?t expect to see any significant
> improvements in data capacity on the 3590s in the short term.
>
> Get a DLT library on evaluation and try it. Nothing works better than first
> hand
> experience.
>
> Another option, if you need high performance and high capacity, and have the
> monery, are the STK silos with Redwood drives.
>
> Paul Shields
> pshields AT bnr DOT ca

Hanna Hahne                        email:  Hanna.Hahne AT dkfz-heidelberg DOT de
Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum
Zentrale Datenverarbeitung         Tel.:   (+49) 06221 - 42 2357
Im Neuenheimer Feld 280            Fax:    (+49) 06221 - 402 765
D-69120 Heidelberg