ADSM-L

[no subject]

1995-11-06 18:51:59
From: Frank Ramke <ramke AT VNET.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 15:51:59 PST
From:         Paul Zarnowski <VKM AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Subject:      ADSM, NetWare, and Macintosh filenames
To:           Multiple recipients of list ADSM-L <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>

Paul,

The real Mac name of the file is actually kept right along with the
file data in the ADSM repository. ADSM uses the Novell TSA to backup
the files. The TSA packs the file into SIDF format (System Independent
Data Format). SIDF format is self-describing, and contains all
information about the object such as name, trustee rights, and
attributes. At restore time, ADSM feeds the same SIDF data describing
the file back to the TSA. Since SIDF tracks the full name of the file,
including the foldername, it will create the true name in the originating
name space.

However, ADSM is capable of overriding the target that the TSA
writes the file. It's at this point that ADSM fails the test of
restoring long file names. If a target is given even if it's the
same as the backup, ie. dsmc> res sys:\mac\* sys:\mac\
ADSM signals to the TSA that we are renaming all the files to the
ADSM name of the file....and ADSM, knows the file only by the short
DOS name of the file, even though the file might have been created
with a Mac. I think ADSM should probably keep the name of the originating
name space instead to avoid this problem. (comments on this are welcomed
as always!).

This may or may not be your users particular problem. Another possibility
is that the mac name space was not reloaded to the volume before restore.

Regards,
Frank Ramke

(referenced append)
One of our users is attempting to restore their NetWare server from an
ADSM backup.  When attempting to restore everyting at once, they did not
get a complete restore (not sure why, but I think the session timed out
before everything got restored - they didn't hang around to watch it).
They then attempted to restore things a directory at a time.  This
worked, however the Macintosh filenames were not restored properly.

My understanding is that if you restore Mac files to the same location
they were backed up from, this should work.  What is the "magic information"
that we need to know to get the Macintosh filenames restored properly?
Is there a particular file that contains the DOSname-to-MacName mapping?

Thanks.
..Paul

Paul Zarnowski                     Phone:   607/255-4757
Cornell Information Technologies   Fax:     607/255-6523
Cornell University                 US Mail: 315 CCC, Ithaca, NY 14853-2601