ADSM-L

ATTN IBM: Need "Restore by subdirectory branch" on command-line clients

1995-11-06 09:03:25
Subject: ATTN IBM: Need "Restore by subdirectory branch" on command-line clients
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 14:03:25 +0000
One of the GUI options unavailable to the command-line clients is the
"Restore by subdirectory branch" option. This option allows the user to
restore subdirectory tree structures to a different location, while
maintaining the original subdirectory structure, i.e. if this was my
original structure:

     dir1
        dir2
        dir3
           dir31
           dir32
        dir4

and I wanted to restore the files and subdirectories under "dir1" to
"newdir",
so it looks like this:

     newdir
        dir2
        dir3
           dir31
           dir32
        dir4

I could use "Restore by subdirectory branch".

On the command-line client, however, I can't do this, at least not very
easily. Rather, I would have to issue RESTORE commands for each and every
subdirectory, a very tedious process at best.

In an environment such as OS/2 or AIX, I have the option of using the GUI.
In NetWare, I don't: that is, I only have the command-line client. Thus I
have to do it the hard way.

We need some kind of function in the command-line that is equivalent to the
"Restore by subdirectory branch" in the GUI.

Actually for the matter, I would hope that IBM is looking to provide
equivalent function between the command-line and GUI. Another example:
on the command-line, I can specify -TODATE, -IFNEWER, and -FROMDATE on
my RESTORE, but there is no equivalent function on the GUI. This hurts
Windows 3.x users, who have only a GUI.

I believe that equivalent function between GUI and command-line clients
should be a fairly high priority.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521