ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Database Consolidation

1995-10-31 00:55:10
Subject: Re: ADSM Database Consolidation
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 05:55:10 +0000
Rudolf Ohrfandl asks:

> Our MVS ADSM-Database is now about 3GB and has 4 Extents and resides on 4
> different 3380 Dasd-Devices.
> Now we are migrating from 3380 to 3390 and by this opportunity we want to
> consolidate the number of extents from
> four to two. In the ADSM Documentation there is no hint to do this. Does
> anybody know?

Here's a possibility:

1) Add the two database volumes on your 3390 DASD to double your existing
   database size (or more, if you need room for growth). Now your database
   will be 6 GB (or more) in size.

2) Issue the "DELETE DBVOLUME" command for each database volume
   on your 3380 DASD. If the volume has data on it, ADSM will first move
   it to another database volume before completing the deletion. In this
   way, you can migrate from 3380 to 3390.

Example: suppose you have 4 database volumes on 3380:

   DB.VOL1
   DB.VOL2
   DB.VOL3
   DB.VOL4

Add 2 more volumes (that at least double your existing database capacity),
but put them on the 3390 DASD:

   DB.VOL5
   DB.VOL6

Now issue the "DELETE DBVOLUME" command:

   DELETE DBVOLUME DB.VOL1

All the data on DB.VOL1 will be moved to another database volume, then
DB.VOL1 will be deleted. Note: By "deleted", I mean that ADSM will no
longer consider it part of your database. You'll still have to delete
the VSAM LDS called DB.VOL1.

In the case of mirrored volumes, when you delete the first volume of the
mirrored pair, this simply "undoes" the mirroring. Deleting the second
volume will cause the data to be moved. (At least I'm 99.9% sure that this
is how it works.)

Example: suppose you have a mirrored pair: DB.VOL1 and DB.VOL1.MIRROR. The
following command will "undo" the mirroring and delete DB.VOL1.MIRROR from
ADSM:

   DELETE DBVOLUME DB.VOL1.MIRROR

Now issue this command:

   DELETE DBVOLUME DB.VOL1

The data from DB.VOL1 will be moved to other database volume(s), then
DB.VOL1 will be deleted from ADSM.

It is possible that as data is moved, it could be placed on another 3380
database volume. But as you delete each 3380 volume, the data will
eventually go to 3390. You could try issuing all 4 delete commands at
once, but I don't know if that would introduce additional complications.
Unless someone else can say for sure that that is okay, I would do it
one at a time.

I have a theory though. IBM tells me that ADSM fills the database from
the bottom up. If this is so, then if you start by deleting the most
recently added database volumes and work your way backwards, the data
will more than likely go to the 3390 volumes right away; in other words,
delete them in the opposite order you added them, i.e. delete DB.VOL4
first, then DB.VOL3, etc.

Hope this helps!

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual