ADSM-L

Re: ADSM and Oracle DB Backup

1995-10-30 04:39:10
Subject: Re: ADSM and Oracle DB Backup
From: Jerry Lawson <JLAWSON AT ITTHARTFORD DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 09:39:10 +0000
Rosa -

You were asking about ADSM backups of Oracle DB's, and whether it supported
Raw partitions.  The answer is no - it does not support raw partitions - the
data bases must be in a file system.

I agree with the assesment by Bill Colwell about the small size of
your backup window.  I would guess that your window exceeds the scope of any
combination of hardware and software, taking full backups.  What you might
be able to do, however, is use an intermediate product that uses the ADSM
API to do a backup of only changed data.  Data Tools has a product that just
came to market on Sun and HP, and is supposed to be releasing an AIX version
shortly.  I haven't seen it, but it does have some promise to reduce the
amount of data you need to backup each night.  I have also heard rumors of a
product from Oracle that may do the same thing, but it has not yet reached
GA status yet.

Jerry Lawson
ITT Hartford Insurance Group
jlawson AT itthartford DOT com