ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Server CPU Utilization

1995-10-27 16:08:51
Subject: Re: ADSM Server CPU Utilization
From: Bill Colwell <BColwell AT CCLINK.DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 20:08:51 GMT
In <bitnet.adsm-l%ADSM-L%95102714391375 AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU>, KL2 AT cu.nih
DOT gov (Bob Klein) writes:
>While looking at the ADSM client SMF records for our MVS version
>1 server, I noticed one node that uses much more cpu per mbyte
>transferred than other nodes.  This node is using ADSM to back
>up file server drives by linking to them.  These file server
>drives (about 10 of them) have a very deep subdirectory
>structure.  Would that be the reason this node is using up
>so much more cpu time than others to backup data?
>
>Thanks for any input regarding what factors might cause the
>adsm server to use more cpu time per megabyte backing up a
>drive.

>Robert P. Klein                          KL2 AT CU.NIH DOT GOV
>Phone: 301-496-7400                      Fax: 301-496-6905
>Mail:  DCRT/CFB/ETS, 12A/1033, 12 SOUTH DR MSC 5607,
>       BETHESDA, MD 20892-5607

Check if this node is using the 'slowincremental on' option.  This
option will cause server cpu to go up exponentially as the subdirectory
tree gets deeper and wider.  For Macs the default for this option is on.

Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab
Email: BColwell AT draper DOT com
Voice: 617-258-1550