ADSM-L

Re: Expiration processing

1995-10-27 09:37:58
Subject: Re: Expiration processing
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 13:37:58 +0000
Tim Pittson asks:

> We're running Version 1 of ADSM on an MVS system.  I've got expiration
> processing set up to run once a day (EXPIN 24).  Our database is 4 GB
(soon
> to be 5) and I'm seeing expiration processing running 6-8 hours a day
using
> 60-80% of a processor on a 3090-500J..  Was just curious what other
medium
> to large ADSM users were seeing as far as run times for expiration
> processing goes.  Have any improvements been made in ADSM version 2 ??
Is
> there anything I can do to speed it up ???  Was also considering changing
> this to a weekly or twice a week process instead of daily.
>  Comments/suggestions appreciated.

I run inventory expiration once a day. I have EXPINTERVAL set to 0 and
an administrative command scheduled to run inventory expiration once a day
at 5:00 AM. I do it this way, as opposed to using "EXPINTERVAL 24" so
that *I* can control when it starts, as opposed to the interval being
offset from when the ADSM server is started. I also schedule changes to
the tape pool reclamation settings (from 100 to 80 and back to 100) so
that I can control when reclamation starts and stops. Doing this gives
me the added benefit of suppressing reclamation when inventory expiration
is running, which I find desirable. This is because as the process is
running, a tape may dip below the reclamation threshold. At that time,
ADSM will start the reclamation process. However, it is possible that the
inventory expiration will eventually expire *all* data on the tape, making
reclamation unnecessary and a waste of resources.

My database is 1,548 MB in size. Utilization is at 72%.

The following illustrates the results of inventory expiration for the
past three days:

Start Time          End Time          Files expired          Tapes deleted
==========          ========          =============          =============
05:00               06:27             21,731                 57
05:00               06:49             38,949                 22
05:00               06:29             25,331                 85

It's interesting to note that there appears to be no correlation between
the number of tapes that expire and the number of files deleted, although
this is a very small sample and may be statistically insignificant.

I don't know if the above info helps, but I thought I'd give you a picture
of what our shop is doing. Overall I find it useful to run expiration
daily.

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521