ADSM-L

Re: Copy Pools

1995-10-27 03:42:59
Subject: Re: Copy Pools
From: Andy Raibeck <raibeck AT CONNIX DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 07:42:59 +0000
Jeff Renicker says:

> Hi folks!
>
> I'm thinking of implementing the new copypool scheme for making our
disaster
> recovery backups and have a question about it.  We have our ADSM server
> on MVS and are using collocation on the tape storage pool.  Right now we
> are using just over 400 tape volumes so a rough guess would be that if I
> did a backup of our tape storage pool I would be looking at between
700-800
> tape mounts (1 for each input tape + 1 for each output tape).
>
> Is there someway to do a series of tapes at a time?  I know it's going to
> take a lllooooonnnnnnngggggg time to do the first backup, but aside from
> cancelling it and restarting it later is there someway to segment the
backups?
> Maybe do a node at a time or something?
>
> I'd appreciate any hints and tips about how others make disaster recovery
> backups of their data.
>
> Thanx!
> Jeff

I don't believe that there is a way to do it the way you are asking, but
I'll tell you what I'm doing:

I have around 1,000 3480 cartridges, making my problem pretty big (and we
don't have an automated library). What I'm trying is a kind of "phase-in"
approach so that although I don't expect to eliminate *all* the input
tape mounts, I might be able to eliminate a significant number of them.

First a brief explanation of my pool structure: All backups go to a disk
storage pool (approximately 15 GB capacity). During the day I force a
migration to tape by lowering the high migration threshold, creating enough
room in the pool for the next night's backups.

In the morning, after the backups run but before migration, I've scheduled
administrative commands to perform the following sequence:

1) Back up the disk backup storage pool to the copy storage pool.
2) Issue the UPDATE VOLUME command to change the access mode for the
   new tapes to 'OFFSITE'.
3) Perform an incremental backup of the ADSM database.

As clients send their data to the ADSM server, older data (now resident
in the tape storage pool) will expire. By ignoring the tape storage pool
for now, and just backing up the disk storage pool, I'm hoping to take
advantage of this "data turnover" in order to reduce the number of input
tape mounts that will be needed when I do eventually back up the tape
storage pool (because a lot of the data will have already been backed up
to the copy storage pool when it was on disk).

Andy Raibeck
Connecticut Mutual
203-987-3521